Turnips - The Stalk Market
Turnips are the MOST profitable way to make bells. However, there is also a great deal of risk involved. If you know what you are doing, you could stand to make millions! Joan visits your town on Sundays from 6am-12pm.
Occasionally, Joan will offer red turnip seeds. When she does offer them, she brings only one bag of seed to your town. Red turnips cost 1,000 bells and can be sold at Nook's for up to 16,000 bells depending upon the day you sell them. You can store red turnip seed for as long as you please; however, they require daily care and watering once planted. You should sell them on day 6. Unlike flowers, you cannot pick them up, you have to dig them up. Joan will not likely bring red turnips to your town if you have been time-traveling (the game can detect a discrepancy between your Wii time and your Animal Crossing game time). Red turnips are like IRAs in the real world: less risk=less chance of profit.
You can buy white turnips in increments of ten. A word a CAUTION is in order here: Sell them before the next Sunday or they will spoil and you'll lose all the money invested. If you know how to sell, as we will discuss below, you ought to buy as many as you can afford--as many as 10 or 20 pocketfuls. If you are not rich yet, don't worry, you will use your profits this week to buy even more next week. You should check Nook's prices twice a day--once before noon and once after. What you really want is to buy turnips for 100 bells or lower, and to sell them for over 500 bells, which is not likely to happen in your town. So, for the next week, visit a forum about Animal Crossing to see if anyone has good prices in their town. The gamespot forums are good, as well as our forum, which you can visit here. Usually people will allow you to sell turnips in their town for an entrance fee of 50-100k per trip (don't pay more than that). This is not a bad deal, if you have bought enough turnips to make millions. Be aware that it takes about an hour or more from the time you post to the time that you finish selling!
If you have good turnip prices in your
Good turnip prices are about 300+ bells per turnip. You stand to make millions on this, even if you don't have any turnips yourself! Here's what to do:
- Clean up the gate area and the route to Nook's.
- Make a path to Nook's with patterns.
- Clear out your pockets so you can accept payments.
- Post your prices on a forum. Specify these rules: no wandering--go straight to nook's, and enter and leave as quickly as possible. Charge an entrance fee of 50k-99k per trip.
- Get a piece of paper and keep track of the people who want to sell.
- Add the first three people--you only want three added at a time so that the traffic in and out of your town is not crazy.
- Watch people.
- Don't require money first, people will have full pockets and would have to drop turnips on the ground to pull out a bell bag. If you make them do this, they will fear that you or a visitor will steal it. Require money as people leave.
- Don't chat much--people are on a mission and you want to make as much money as possible by getting people in and out quickly.
If you are going to a town for turnip selling--
This is unfinished: we will be turning this into a complete turnip article eventually.
Buying “stock” in the turnip market – When Sow Joan comes to town on Sunday mornings you can buy shares of turnips from her. During the week, you can sell them back to Nook for either more or less than you paid, depending on the day. Sow Joan sells white turnips, which are already grown and only last a week, and red turnip seed, which you must plant and take excellent care of. You can keep the seed for as long as you please before planting it. Turnips will spoil if you do not sell them within the week. When you leave them outside, they attract ants and flies.